Tuesday 19 May 2009

European elections: My vote matters?

Yesterday Commission President José Manuel Barroso launched an appeal to EU citizens to vote in the upcoming European elections. His message was that my vote matters, and that the course of the European Union is in my hands.

Yesterday I was only able to access the press release, but today I could see the recorded video message, and the text is available in additional languages.

***

The European Union today is much less responsive to the voice of its citizens than I would prefer. Official messages – including Barroso’s – tend to overemphasise the role of the European Parliament, especially ahead of the EP elections.

But as citizens we have a damned duty to cast our vote, limited as it may be, and to make the wisest choice possible for the future of our children and grandchildren in Europe.

We just have to find someone who is part of the solution, instead of the problem.


Ralf Grahn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due deluge of spam comments no more comments are accepted.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.